Subject: Regards: Impact warning
From: [email-masked]
Date: 7 Nov 1999 04:06:06 -0500
Newsgroups: alt.clearing.technology

In the URL the man says  "it could be stuff we put up there"... now you see, 
anything we put up there is quite small, most burns up in re entry and the 
larger items land like bathtubs not nearly enough to cause the sorts of 
damage he mentioned like tidal waves that would go 200 miles inland!

That is asteroid sized material, miles in diameter.....and those the whole 
world can see for quite a ways out.  NOt a lot we can do about those at this 
time although there are programs in progress to develop a capability to 
launch atomic bombs at them or land on them and place atomic shape charges 
in order to deflect them.  That would only work for smaller asteroids on a 
near miss trajectory though, any coming straight in probably could not be 
deflected enough to do the trick.

And it will just be a matter of time before one does come in,  it would wipe 
out most life on earth by kicking up a dust cloud and causing a global 
freeze.   Or we might have the next ice age before that rendering it a mute 
point.

regardless if you look at world population graphs it is quite obvious that 
we have gone onto the steep part of the exponential curve.. taxing the 
worlds ability to support life and the planetary imune system.  The curve 
for drug resistant disease has also gone exponential for a few years now.  
In other words those curves are almost straight up.  In other words these 
days a lot happens in a very short period of time.   Faster than we will be 
able to react to it one of these days.

Looking at the historical perspective, we are deep into interesting times.   
An asteroid strike would solve that problem for the survivors.   so would 
another plague.  Both are inevitable.  The natural cycles of systems and 
organisms assures that.

All of these things are cyclical or on mathematically predictable cycles or 
probability curves more or less.  Random but not that random.  Like the odds 
of flipping a coin and getting heads or tails... the over all probability is 
50% but you could at any time get 4 heads in a row.  You wont be getting 20 
heads in a row though, the probability curve runs out of gas around 4 or 6 
in a row.

Its like german shepards.  If he's 12, you know his car chasing days are 
almost over.  He's about 10 now.

The guys story doesnt wash.... comparing asteroid damage to orbiting debris 
exposes him as an idiot.

Best Regards, Phil Scott

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com