Subject: Re: Getting Free was - Where to post?
From: [email-masked] (C. B. Willis)
Date: Sun, 23 May 1999 02:12:37 GMT
Newsgroups: alt.clearing.technology

> Your not going to  get out as long as someone else is stuck in. You may
> be a long ways away, but eventually, we'll have to handle those who
> haven't made it, or I bet we'd all end  up back here. 

: I haven't personally found this theory in any other place but Scn. 

This is Mahayana Buddhism, the "greater vehicle." It is based on the
virtue of compassion, a core virtue or quality of the Buddha himself. The
idea is that one is not free or liberated until everyone else is also, and
one who is enlightened stays to help others also become free. This is the
"bodhisattva" ideal, the ideal man. 

Mahayana was in contrast to the earlier Hinayana Buddhism, "the lesser
vehicle." In that tradition, the ideal was simply for the individual man
to become enlightened and go free.  The "arhat" was the ideal man. 

So there's a lot of history behind the above assertion set forth as an
ideal.  Any ideal CAN be used to manipulate idealistic people, and all
people are idealistic in SOME way, but an ideal is not necessarily 
manipulative by itself.  I degress, that's a whole subject in itself.

In the Alice Bailey esoteric teachings, it is said that a being has the
choice at a high level of initiation (6th initiation? on that model)
whether to stay on and help humanity, or whether to pursue a different
path, thus resolving the question of which is the true path - Bailey
(D.K.'s) answer is that both are true, and we will choose at some point.
But that point is so far advanced it's not practical to worry about it. 
6th initiation is beyond the 4th (crucifixion) and 5th (resurrection and
ascension?).  Most people on the path today, including therapists, clergy,
OTs, FZ, etc, are not even at 2nd initiation (emotional mastery). It takes
many lifetimes between consciously stepping onto the spiritual path (1st
initiation on that model) and 2nd.  References: _Initiation Human and
Solar_, and _Rays and Initiations_, both by Alice A. Bailey. 

- CBW
---------------------------------------------------------------------
| [email-masked]            | "Values are the infrastructure   |
|                                |  upon which civilization         |
|                                |  will be reinvented."  - CBW     |
---------------------------------------------------------------------

--